The Tangkhul Naga Long and Tangkhul Frontal Organisations, under the aegis of the United Naga Council (UNC), organized a massive rally at Ukhrul Headquarters on Wednesday in strong opposition to the scrapping of the Free Movement Regime (FMR) and the construction of border fencing along the Indo-Myanmar border, which cuts through Naga-inhabited areas.

The rally, attended by around 15,000 people from various backgrounds, included representatives from the Naga Hoho, Naga Peoples Movement for Human Rights (NPMHR), Global Naga Forum, All Naga Students’ Association Manipur (ANSAM), Naga Women Union, and other organizations from different parts of Manipur. Protesters voiced their strong dissent against the Indian government’s decision, asserting that the move would further divide Naga communities and violate their traditional rights.
The rally commenced from two points—Dungrei Junction and Kharasom Junction—before converging at Ukhrul Headquarters for a public gathering, where several leaders addressed the crowd.
Among the speakers were Leishiyo Keishing, MLA of 43-Phungyar AC; Khashim Vashum, MLA of 45-Chingai AC; N.G. Lorho, President of UNC; Neingolu Krome, Secretary General of NPMHR (Central); David Boyes, Vice President of Naga Hoho; and Professor Rosemary Dzuvichu, Co-Convenor of the Global Naga Forum.
“We are here to voice our disagreement and anger against the policies of the Government of India (GOI) and the Government of Manipur (GOM),” said UNC President N.G. Lorho, declaring that “patience has worn thin and endurance has reached its limit.”
He condemned the border fencing, stating, “The bilateral agreement between India and Myanmar that delimited and demarcated Naga areas was made without the informed consent of Naga villagers. The GOI’s proposed border fencing—cutting through Naga-inhabited areas while ignoring the traditional Naga boundary with Myanmar—is unacceptable. If fencing is necessary, it should follow the original Naga traditional boundary with Myanmar.”
Lorho further asserted that the move was not merely a policy shift but “a direct attack on the rights and dignity of the Naga people.” He accused the Indian government of using national security as a pretext to “further fragment and weaken the Naga people.”
Memorandum Submitted to PM Modi
A memorandum was submitted to Prime Minister Narendra Modi through the Deputy Commissioner of Ukhrul District, urging immediate intervention. It highlighted historical grievances, emphasizing that “the arbitrary division of the Naga homeland by British colonial rulers had already inflicted deep wounds on the community.”
The protesters put forward two key demands:
Restoration of the Free Movement Regime (FMR): They insisted that the FMR, which allowed cross-border movement without strict visa restrictions, be reinstated, arguing that fencing would divide Naga families and disrupt traditional ties.
Halt to Border Fencing: Protesters condemned the proposed fencing as an “unjust and inhumane measure” that would reduce Nagas to “wild animals in iron enclosures.” They stressed that illegal immigration has not been an issue in Naga-inhabited areas.
The memorandum was signed by as all the Tangkhul Naga Long, the apex body of the tribe and all the frontal organisations.
MLA Khashim Vashum also urged the government to reconsider the decision and respect the rights and traditions of the Naga people. “We should be allowed to move freely within our ancestral land without restriction or division,” he said.
“Border fencing should only be undertaken after the boundary between the two nations is corrected, as many Naga villages have been placed on the Myanmar side. We wish to live as one people. No more division among the Nagas by artificial boundaries,” said MLA Leishiyo Keishing.
(With inputs from Ukhrul Times)