Longleng, 17 June (MTNews): A disturbing incident of mass food poisoning has rocked the village of Pongching in Longleng, as dozens of villagers were rushed to the District Hospital for medical treatment. The incident, which occurred on Wednesday, 14 June, has prompted a joint investigation by local authorities, including the police, food safety department, and the Chamber of Commerce.
According to the SP Longleng, at approximately 11:00 AM, a group of 60 to 70 individuals from Pongching village purchased fish from a local shopkeeper with the intention of consuming it during their work in a terraced paddy field the following day. Unfortunately, their plans took an unexpected turn when complaints of severe physical illness, including vomiting and diarrhea, emerged among the group during the evening and night on Thursday, 15 June.
As news of the incident reached the authorities, the Superintendent of Police (SP), Longleng and the Officer-in-Charge (OC) of the local police promptly launched a preliminary inquiry. They, along with representatives from the food safety department and the Chamber of Commerce Longleng, visited the District Hospital to assess the situation and plan further actions.
During the inquiry, it was revealed that a total of 43 individuals had been admitted to the hospital, all displaying symptoms consistent with food poisoning. To gather crucial evidence, samples of the cooked fish were collected from both the affected villagers and the shopkeeper who had sold them the fish. These samples will be sent to the State Public Health Laboratory for comprehensive testing and analysis.
In the meantime, statements from doctors, affected individuals, and the shopkeeper/seller were recorded to aid in the ongoing investigation. As a precautionary measure, the shop has been sealed off pending further actions.
Authorities have urged the public to remain calm and cooperate with the investigation, while refraining from spreading rumors.